Monday, March 24, 2008

went to laos

got back from chiang my to bangkok, then took night train to laos.
when to vientiate, the capital, it was pretty laid back and nice.. then took a 2 dollar bus for 4 hours to vieng vaing. its a place that has somehow got popular at first cus of its beautiful environment, river, caves etc.. so ppl would go scuba diving, rock climbing, kaykaiing.. but then drugs got popular, like mushrooms, pot and opium, now everyone sells "happy food"... anyway then that got popular, and ppl wanted to chill out, so there were tons of bars that sprung up, playing friends reruns, on full volume, with places to laydown and watch... at night time when i walked around, i probably saw about 10 bars within 100 meters of eachother, all playing friends reruns, with high/drunk foreigners laying down drinking beer, eating shakes and pizza, and watching friends, in the middle of no where laos.. viang viang is like population 5000 or something small, kind of like in this desssert like place, mostly poor and abandoned except for this one strip of road, with bars and neon lights.. its insane.. i stayed there for 1 nite and then left... really weird. kinda twilight zone ish...

i plan to go to china soon, today or tomorrow will start, but i get there by taking night train to laos, then either bus, train or plane to hanoi vietnam, then 45 hour train from hanoi to peking. i mean beijing china.

1 comment:

cristina tzintzun said...

Hi beatiful dockers....
I am glad yr out and about traveling. I miss you and hope yr well and having a wonderful time. All is well here, I ran 10 miles on Sunday and have been riding my bike lots. Maya my doggy has fleas :( so I bath her every other day. I hung up a nice hamac in my backyard and sit in read in it. I just did a reading that mommy came to at a bookstore... 1/2 the audience cried.

Just did my taxes. Nena came and got Toña on the weekend. We are getting ready here for a big March on May1st. I am in a book club that is fun, we read good political books. And I have started to write a lot more. I will send you my most recent essay that I read at Monkey Wrench. I am going to NYC in June for work and am gonna try and read there too. I am going to leave Workers Defense Project for a year and go to Nicaragua and write... I am saving all my money for that trip... I won't leave till July 2009.

Much love and big hugs!!
xoxo
Crench bugs